Saturday, May 12, 2012

White Wine Cupcakes (Best yet!)

We had white wine in the fridge earlier in the week and I have always wanted to try to make cupcakes with wine or champagne. I've had chapagne cake before and it was delicious, but I wanted to try it on my own. My original plan was to use a cake mix and substitute the water for wine, but I wasn't sure how that would go. Instead I found an easy recipe from scratch. The recipe was on one of my new favorite blogs, We are not Martha.


On Friday was Clemson University graduation. I went back to see many of my close friends walk across the stage and receive their diploma. I thought it would be fun to make the wine cupcakes to bring down to for the festivities. My mother was quite jealous that I was giving them away.


Right out of the oven the cupcakes smelled amazing! It was hard to not to eat them!

White Wine Cupcakes (makes about 20):
• 2/3 C butter, room temperature
• 1 1/2 C sugar
• 2 3/4 C all-purpose flour
• 3 t baking powder
• 1 t salt
• 3/4 C riesling wine (or other sweet white wine)
• 6 egg whites

(Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees)



In your mixer or large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
Mix the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, alternating with the wine.
In a separate small bowl, beat your egg whites until stiff peaks form
Fold the egg whites into the batter.
Fill cupcake liners in tray about 2/3 of the way full.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.



Strawberry Icing!
1 cup fresh strawberries
5 cups powdered sugar
splash of white wine
1 cup butter

Beat butter in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar slowly. Add the white wine to loosen and continue adding powdered sugar. Once fully mixed add the strawberries and finish mixing. Honestly, there is no method to the madness, you just have to keep adding sugar and liquid until you get the right texture of icing that you like best. Taste it along the way to make sure you like it too!



They were a hit! The cupcakes were even more delicious than I expected and everyone enjoyed them. We had a wonderful lunch after graduation! Congrats to all graduates!

-Baking the world a better place!

1 comment:

  1. These look so yummy! I wish I could have tried ;) I might have to make these sometime.

    ReplyDelete