Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Crunchy or Soft--How do you like your cookies?

One of my favorite memories of growing up is when I would come home to school and my mom had fresh baked cookies waiting for us on the table. They came in all different types, chocolate chip, chocolate-peanut butter chip, oatmeal, or even peanut butter, but what mattered was that they were D-E-licious. So I wanted to be like her today, since my mom had to go pick up my little brother from school, I got to do the cookie baking. No pressure...living up to her cookie baking skills. But when they walked in the door and smelled the cinnamon and sugar my mom and brother were pleasantly surprised. What kind of cookies did I choose to make, you ask?




Skickerdoodle!



Not only is that one of the coolest cookie names ever, but these cookies are light and not too sweet to handle. I wouldn't eat too many at once because of all the butter and shortening, yikes! Snickerdoodles are really easy to make, so no stress.

I got the recipe from reliable Betty Crocker online.

Ingredients
1 1/2  cups sugar
1/2    cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2    cup shortening
2        eggs
2 3/4  cups Gold Medal® all-purpose or unbleached flour
2      teaspoons cream of tartar
1      teaspoon baking soda
1/4   teaspoon salt
1/4   cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions
1.Heat oven to 400ºF.
2. Mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, the butter, shortening and eggs in large bowl. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
3. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Mix 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.


How do I like my cookies?
Well, I think they are best soft, but I don't mind crunchy cookies as long as I don't feel like my teeth are going to come out when I bite down. The Snickerdoodles are a little crunchy, but the good kind. They fall apart in your mouth right when you bite down and go perfectly with a glass of milk.

Baking the world a better place!

No comments:

Post a Comment